Monday, March 12, 2018

My Link Is Not Severed

Having a child is a big responsibility and it can be a very rewarding one for those you truly want to undertake the task.  Many see it as a path to immortality of a sort.  The links from the past will carry on into the future, the family line will continue, someone will care for you in your twilight years, etc.

But what about those people who can't have kids, for one reason or another, or who don't wish to have them at all.  Are they to be objects of pity or scorn by those who have them?  Will they be left forgotten in their old age, a lonely individual laying on a bed in a nursing home without a single visitor?  My answer is no to all of these.

I am, for reasons that I will not discuss here, not able to have biological children of my own, even though they are wanted.  But I do not consider my link to the future severed by any means.  My children are many, more than anyone person can birth on their own.  My children are my students, the readers that read the stories I send out into the world, the offspring of mine and my husband's siblings, and the offspring of those I consider part of my family.  Part of who I am will live on in them and those that come after them.

Yes, I will admit that I often worry about who might care for me when I'm in my twilight years but I try not to dwell on it.  What happens will happen.  Time will continue to flow forward into the cosmic expanse & nothing I do will change that.  I must trust that when my time comes to cross the veil, there will be those who love me to wish me farewell.





















(Photo from: http://www.thethingswesay.com/i-like-to-think-that-the-universe-brought-us-together-for-a-reason-that-were-supposed-to-help-each-other-grow-into-the-people-we-were-always-meant-to-become/)

No comments:

Post a Comment