Thursday, December 21, 2017

Starry Night

So last year, my good friend Marie gave me a journal of 300 writing prompts.  I did one, which you can read here http://thehookandthepen.blogspot.com/2016/06/lazy-day.html , but I forgot/lost the journal for a while.  I rediscovered it the other day and decided that, starting today, I am giving myself until the end of 2018 to complete the other 299 prompts.


Here is #299: What is your favorite work of art?  What do you love about it?

As cliche as it may sound, I love Van Gough's Starry Night.  To me, it makes me think of the churning and swirling of the cosmos.  When we look up at the stars at night, all we see are little balls of light that twinkle ever so slightly.  It you are lucky, you may even see a streak of fire as a meteor comes through our atmosphere and gets burned to nothingness.  But that is all we see, at least with the naked eye.  We don't get to see the fires that churn on each star's surface, sending their light in every known direction in the universe for all life to see.  Starry Night seems to encompass a small part of that celestial dance, at least to me.














(Picture from: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/1280px-Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment