Friday, December 22, 2017

Gone But Not Forgotten

(Promt #298 from my 300 writing prompts journal)

The question was "Have you ever had the rotten experience of having to put a pet down?"  I chose to go with the first pet that was actually mine, rather than a family pet.

My very first pet that I could call mine was a sweet, hooded rat named Spot (so called due to the small caramel colored spot in the white fur on her back).  She was such a sweet rat and very smart.  Her favorite food was mashed potatoes and she'd eat them right from my finger.

Spot was developing tumors, like many rats do when they get old.  When it became hard for her to breathe, I knew that it was time.  It was heartbreaking for me because she was my best friend and confidant.  I petted her and told her how much I loved her as she went to sleep for the last time.  I refused to let the vet dispose of her body.  I took her home, placed her in a box full of flowers with a eulogy taped to the lid, and buried her in the flower garden.  Even to this day, I still think of her and miss her.

She looked a lot like this rat but with only one spot of light brown in the white fur on her spine.














(Picture from: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/d2/82/2ad282574fa8b9a343864ce1a2c7becb.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment