Thursday, July 6, 2017

When the Book is Not Better Than the Movie


 As an avid reader, I love getting lost in a good book.  I'll even get excited when a favorite of mine is being made into a movie.  Even if the movie is done well, I will still favor the book over the movie.  Very rarely will there be a time that I like the movie more than the book.  I believe, at the current count, there is only four movies that I like better than the book.


 The first book is The Princess Bride.  Now I will admit that I saw the movie first before I read the book, but like any good reader, I approached the text like I had never seen the movie. (Plus, it came with the anniversary edition of the dvd and how could I say no to a free book?) No offense to the author, but oh dear lord was the text boring.  I struggled to finish it.  It was very dry and I felt myself getting distracted every time I went to read it.


This is another book where I saw the movie before reading the text.  Now, while the text was enjoyable, for the most part, there are certain things that just put me off the text.  I won't go into all of them here, but the main one was the zombie "sex" scene.  I understand that it was to make R jealous but the visual that it evokes is one that sticks in your head for years to come (and not in a pleasant way).



Now, the movie had come out by the time that I had heard of the book.  I had seen previews of the movie, which seemed interesting, but I was determined to read the book before I watched the movie.  This particular book barely made this list since I did like it but not enough to keep in in my personal collection and reread it again and again. The movie, on the other hand, I could watch multiple times and still be amused by it.



The last book was a book I read in college for a reading course.  It was cute but it felt flat to me.  It read more like someone's thought process rather than an adventure.  There is one part I liked in the book that I felt should have been placed into the book.  Ella's fairy godmother finally realizes the error in the "gifts" she had given to Ella and others in the past and punishes herself by going through the same experiences.











Picture credits
book w/ glasses: http://cdn-media-2.lifehack.org/wp-content/files/2015/08/Reading-Glasses-On-Book-With-Hot-Tea-Drink1.jpg
The Help: https://coilycrowns.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/the-help.jpg
The Princess Bride: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/P/0345348036.jpg
Warm Bodies: http://thebooksmugglers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Warm+Bodies.jpg
Ella Enchanted: http://cdn.skim.gs/images/x03qencqew1tnghz76xa/books-for-girls-em-ella-enchanted-em-1

No comments:

Post a Comment