Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Entanglement of Yarn

Yarn.  It comes in a variety of colors, textures, and thicknesses.  Just a simple ball of string.  And yet, using this simple ball of string, you can create amazing things: blankets, sweaters, baby booties and those are just some of the more common place items.  This simple item is often over looked by many but I look at it with joy.

My mother is the one who taught me how to crochet* when I was 18 years old.  I decided that I finally wanted to learn.  She had tried to teach me when I was younger, but it didn't turn out all that well.  She gave me a hook, a ball of yarn and showed me how to chain, the base of any crochet project.  I took to it like a fish to water.  She then showed me how to make a granny square, then how to read crochet patterns.  I loved it.  My first completed project was a granny square blanket.  Each square of this blanket was a full 8oz of yarn (which is a a full skein(ball) of yarn).  I used four different colors and it was rather long, more like a wrap around yourself type blanket, rather than the put on your bed variety.  I gave it to my brother and he loved to wrap himself up in it to keep warm.

                                                The deep recesses of my crochet bag


Sadly, there are a few downsides to this beautiful, yarn weaving hobby.  One is that you will run into people who don't understand the cost of yarn and the time it takes to complete projects.  They will offer a few dollars to "pay you" for an item that might have taken you a few months to complete.  Don't allow people to belittle the time and energy it takes to make something.
Two is that you become infatuated by yarn.  You want it and can't get enough.  You gladly accept gifts of random skeins from friends, thinking to yourself "I can make something out of this."  The yarn stash goes from one box, then two.  After several boxes and four partially completed projects later, your friends may have to stage a yarn intervention.
The last downside is that once you start down the path of crochet, you become hooked!  (Ha! Just a little crochet humor for ya)




*Crocheting is done with 1 hook.  It is not the same as knitting, which uses 2 needles.  Saying crocheting is the same as knitting may result in yarn-related injury.  Just warning you now

No comments:

Post a Comment