Sunday, September 24, 2017

At The Edge of Death

The fifth writing prompt was to write about a near death experience.  Enjoy!


I go to thinking about being near death.  A lot of movies portray it as either a very intense experience or a peaceful one.  But they both have something in common: the act leading to the near death experience is a huge one.  Many people expect that in order to have a near death experience, it has to be a major accident.

But what if I said that you can have a near death experience in a small event?  Let me give you an example.  Say you are walking down the stairs and you misjudge where the last step is.  Your heart skips a beat, leaping up into your chest.  Your breath catches in your throat and a lightning flash of a vision of injury or death from a fall appears before your eyes.  When you realize that you are okay and unharmed, your heartbeat begins to return to normal and you vow to be more careful walking down the stairs.  Did you come close to crossing the veil between the living and the dead?  Your mind seems to think so.

Me, personally, have experienced both a major and many minor near death experiences.  My major one was being hit by a car while riding my bike across the street when I was 17.  All I remember is starting across the street and the next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes and looking at the sky above me.  I was calm but I had no recollections of any major insights with my brush with death.  I do remember having several insights during my minor near death experiences.

So I ask you, which insights are more important?  The ones brought one by a minor near death experience or a major one? Or are they both equally important?  That is up to you to decide.
























(Photo from: http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/death.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment