Friday, May 5, 2017

Passing On the Love


I love to wander around little stores.  Most people have these in their towns.  Those little, non-chain stores that can be full of little treasures as long as you know where to look for them.  There is a little thrift shop run by volunteers really close to my house that is one of my favorite places to wander around.  I'm never quite sure what surprises will be discovered when I wander in.

So, after work the other day, I went over to that little thrift shop just to wander and unwind a bit from the long day.  I found a couple of goodies as I wandered before I decided I needed to go home and be a responsible adult.  As I got in line to pay, there was a lady who was a head of me, buying a pair of shoes.  She asked one of the volunteers if they would take $3 for the shoes instead of $4 since that was all the cash she had on her.  She then told them that she needed them for a job interview that she was going on since she had been out of work for a while.  I stood there, in line, quiet and listening to the lady's exchange with the volunteer.  Then I spoke up.  I told her not to worry about it, that I had her covered.  I told the volunteer to add the cost of the shoes to my purchase.  They both stared at me for a few seconds and the lady asked me if I was sure.  I told her that I had been in her place before and to do well on her interview.  She smiled and gave be a big hug, saying thank you.

After that little moment, I got to thinking.  With all the difficult and horrible things that are happening in the world, would that one little act of kindness, that act of love to a complete stranger make a difference in the grand scheme of things?  I honestly think that it will.  It helps to make my day & life better by helping a fellow human being make her life better.  It helps that lady who accepted my kindness face her upcoming interview with more confidence.  It helps the volunteers at that thrift store seeing that human kindness is not dead.  That simple act of love can have a lasting impression on not only those few people, but the people that they interact with in the future.

Remember, love can change the world.  Pass it on.







(Image from http://kimchilds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DChitwood_NoActOfKindness.png)

No comments:

Post a Comment