Thursday, August 4, 2016

Out of the Blue and Just Because

My best friend Marie and I have been friends since we were 8 years old.  Our friendship has survived many things, including her moving away right before we were going to start high school.  Back in those days, we couldn't call each other much due to the cost of long distance phone calls, but we did write each other: a lot.  This practice has continued to this day.  We call it "fun mail" because it is certain to be a bright spot in the day, considering that most of the mail we get as adults is junk & bills.  We even send each other little presents, which you'd have to admit, is always awesome.  These gifts are often referred to as "just because" gifts simply because there is no reason for them.

Recently, I had a text conversation with Marie that went like this:
Marie - What is your pants and top size?
Me - I wear a large in most tops, XL if a button up.  I'm a size 14 in most pants, a 12 in most slacks.
Me - Don't forget that I'm allergic to ramie
Marie - Are you a morning peacock or an evening peacock?
Me - I'd say evening since that time of day has more blues and purples
Me - Now I'm curious
Marie - 4 items will be in the mail
Me - I'm scared & intrigued at the same time
Marie - Happy unbirthday.  Just remember you are loved

A few days later, I received a box in the mail.  Inside was three items: a pair of pants, a top and a pack of very pretty postcards.  The morning/evening peacock question actually referred to the pattern on the pants.  The morning peacock pants are really pretty and so very comfortable.  (To see the pattern, type morning peacock into Amazon's search)  The 4th item had not arrived and according to Marie, it was to arrive separately.  The wait was worth it.

                                          What arrived in it's own little box

This bath bomb was huge, a lot bigger than the ones that I've used in the past.  As mentioned in a previous post, I love a nice hot bath since it helps with my bad joints.  I couldn't wait to use it.  Marie said that she used the same one and it turned her water blue.  Not just a light blue but so dark of a blue it looked as if she had filled her bathtub with blue window cleaner.

                                            Into the deep, blue waters

I have to admit, the blue water made me rather nervous.  Marie said it didn't stain her tub or the skin.  Either way I had a choice: get in the tub or waste a gift from a friend.  Decisions, decisions.

I took the plunge and it was wonderful.  There was flower petals floating in the water that came from the bath bomb as it dissolved.  It smelled lovely and even made the water feel silky against my skin.  And no, I did not come out of the bath tub looking like a Smurf.

I enjoyed all my "just because" gifts because they were sent with me in mind and they were sent from a very dear friend.  Now the question is, what will become the next "just because" gift and who will be the one that sends it?

No comments:

Post a Comment