Thursday, October 6, 2016

Too Funny

I work as a paraprofessional (otherwise known as a teacher's aide) at an elementary school.  It is my job to help children that are struggling with any of their subjects.  Recently, I have been working with several kids on their writing, both the writing of their letters and writing actual sentences.  One day, I was trying to get my first graders to practice writing by having them copy something that I had written down.  At first it started out as sentences about themselves but then it morphed into them writing corny jokes.  This got them really interested because once they were done, they got to read their joke out loud for the others in the group to hear.

After the day was over, I got to thinking about jokes and how when we were younger, we all had those silly and corny jokes that we would tell.  We read joke books and tried to pass the off the jokes that we found on our popsicle sticks as our own.  We laughed our heads off at any joke that contained the word "butt" even if the joke itself wasn't that funny.

As an adult, we still laugh at those corny jokes.  Some of us laugh because the jokes seem so stupid, while others laugh because they remember telling those jokes once upon a time.  I say don't laugh at them because they are stupid but laugh at them because your inner child finds them funny.  We often forget about our inner child in the day to day struggles of being an adult.  Our inner child reminds us to laugh at the silly things that life throws at us.  Embrace the silly, embrace the corny.  You never know what trials you will face during the day.  Life needs laughter, just like the body needs air.

And so, in the sprirt of my inner child, I leave you with my favorite corny joke:

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?
Nacho cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment